Why is Africa Still So Poor?

The title of this video drew my attention. I started watching but had to pause. Posting it here for myself to watch later and also, of course to share. The comments on this video couldn’t be more honest.

2 Likes

Because of our greediness and selfishness. One wld always think of how to make his/her belly full up and not thinking of others 🧏🏽‍♂️

1 Like

This is real situation on the ground. lt’s a sad phenomenon. We can somehow agree that the West has a hand in Africa’s poverty. The few elites will always be richer because bribery and corruption is what makes people rich in Africa rather hardwork. So much truth contained in the video I must say.

I always say this, africa is not poor. Africa is in an transition phase. From people cultivating the land now to people dressed in suit and tie. The idea of poverty is a human invention.

Sure we may now have problems where many people are dying from curable diseases and hunger, but this is nothing new, is something that has always been part of the human civilization

We allow them to enter our business to begin with. As you point out, the are internal people, some people like Our two current president who’s job is to perpetuate the western world agenda in our country. Is hard to decode what’s really going on right in front of our eyes

2 Likes

We’ve sold our birth rights to the Western world and they are leaving no stone unturned in devouring us and making us look poorer. We at the bottom will continue to wail and groan with no solution because the movers and shakers are at top, they got the keys .

Exactly, how many visionary African leaders were removed by someone who was close to them working with foreign powers? Like yes, the west is guilty of exploiting us, but it’s the people in power who enable them and let these things happen. we talk about not benefiting from our resources, but how is signing these deals for their own selfish gain?

the video talks about how slavery stunted africas growth, which was true, but even with that, there was an opportunity for us to advance after our independence. I think the biggest issue was the actions taken after independence. A lot of colonies should have split up into smaller states (mainly nigeria and ethiopia).

Instead of pushing nationalism and national identity, a lot of leaders just stoked more ethnic divisions and tensions. Too many leaders had people close to them who betrayed them to gain favor w/ western powers. And overall corruption of various leaders hindered many more states.

Botswana is a good example of a country who did things right, the only issue is the white population there and the racial wealth gap that exists.

Overall corruption is the biggest issue, theres so much progress that could be made (especially in ghana oh god) if it wasnt for corruption.

Corruption is the issue.

How many visionary African leaders were removed by someone who was close to them working with foreign powers? Like yes, the west is guilty of exploiting us, but it’s the people in power who enable them and let these things happen. we talk about not benefiting from our resources, but who is signing these deals for their own selfish gain?

the video talks about how slavery stunted africas growth, which was true, but even with that, there was an opportunity for us to advance after our independence. I think the biggest issue was the actions taken after independence. A lot of colonies should have split up into smaller states (mainly nigeria and ethiopia).

Instead of pushing nationalism and national identity, a lot of leaders just stoked more ethnic divisions and tensions. Too many leaders had people close to them who betrayed them to gain favor w/ western powers. And overall corruption of various leaders hindered many more states.

Botswana is a good example of a country who did things right, the only issue is the white population there and the racial wealth gap that exists.

Overall corruption is the biggest issue, theres so much progress that could be made (especially in ghana oh god) if it wasnt for corruption.

People who go into slavery inherit a truck load of problems. First, physiology problem. Ones you’re conquered by another nation or race, you carry emotional baggage, to simply what I’m saying for the sake of understanding, for example when you get beaten by another person, there’s emotional problem of dominance that result from that, and the one who got beating, assume a submissive position unless you wake-up one day and change the narrative, you’ll always assume a submissive position and that’s what has happened to blacks people all over the world. There’s problem of dominance

The only time blacks really felt happy, is when white people acknowledge them. Is a complex problem but I will try to keep it short

Agree. But after independence, the damage had already been done. Look at how long slavery took place… all this time, the West were already advancing, we’ll still playing catchup.

I don’t get this part. Like the colonies should have split into smaller colonies? How would that have helped?

Those divisions are even felt until today!! If it wasn’t for this video, I’d never know tribes were fighting each and selling captured enemy tribe members as slaves!

I don’t completely agree with this, while slavery completely destabilized the continent, there were some countries that were in a decent state post independence from their colonizers. There were also other countries that were poorer than countries on the continent, yet today, they’re high income developed countries.

Yes, we would have had to play catch up, but so did so many other nations on other continents, and eventually they were able to catch up to other industrialized nations. We could have achieved the same thing.

Many of the countries we have today still have the same borders from when they were colonized. we didn’t choose the borders we have and the people we share a nation with. We eventually saw how a big reason there was so muchstagnation was due to ethnic conflicts (nigerian civil war, Ethiopia, liberia, south Africa).

Those conflicts are still ongoing today, especially in nigeria and ethiopia. If both nations were able to redraw their borders and split up how they liked, we wouldn’t be seeing a lot of underdevelopment we see today. I personally think this only applies to nigeria, Ethiopia, and maybe cameroon. and I would be surprised if they all eventually collapsed/split up.

I’m so surprised this is the first time you’re hearing of it, but yes. slaves could be prisoners of war or simply kidnapped by slave catchers as well.