Polygamy: Yes or No?

Wanted to hear your thoughts on Polygamy and whether you are in favour of it or not, and why?

1 Like

It’s a NO for me. Individual studies report a higher prevalence of somatization, depression, anxiety, hostility, psychoticism and psychiatric disorder in polygynous wives as well as reduced life and marital satisfaction, problematic family functioning and low self-esteem.

Children and women are the most affected in polygamous communities. … It causes psychological problems for children and women . Women suffer from psychiatric conditions such as low self-esteem, loneliness, anxiety, and somatization. Children also suffer due to lack of parental attention

1 Like

Agree. Interesting that it was a normal way of living since early days and it was expected.

However, I don’t think it should be demonised that much, though. I feel like westernisation has caused us to unnecessarily look down upon such things. There are far worse things :joy:

I think normally humans (as well as most mammals) are polygamous by nature. The idea of monogamy was made up by society. But in the beginning of time humans were monogamous.

As time passed, primates as a whole became more social and evolved to live together in groups, but only humans became truly monogamous.
Source: Why did humans become monogamous? - CNN

Quoting @racheampong,

Individual studies report a higher prevalence of somatization, depression, anxiety, hostility, psychoticism and psychiatric disorder in polygynous wives as well as reduced life and marital satisfaction,

All these, if the studies are true are as a result of change in society from how we were originally. This depression and anxiety @racheampong is talking about is NOT found in cultures that still practise polygamy today.

In my opinion, polygamy is OK depending on how one was raised and where. The society decides most of this.

Personally, I wouldn’t mind being polygamous though, I see a lot of advantages in polygamy.

1 Like

“And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying, We will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel: only let us be called by thy name, to take away our reproach.”
-Isaiah 4:1

May His will be done. :pray:

1 Like

:joy: :joy: And nowadays, the same Christianity is making it seem like Polygamy is a sin, yet it is praised in the Bible :thinking:

Tell you what, to me the bible is the most useless book ever! So no surprises :stuck_out_tongue:

I haven’t seen a book more confused than the bible that so many of us Africans believe in.

1 Like

The contradictions are so obvious yet people still blindly take allegiance to this book :joy:

One can be spiritual and believe in God without a book telling them what to do.

Totally agree.

Personally I don’t believe there’s any God and it’s people’s choice to believe it but when you sit and think critically you’ll find that the bible is bomb koraaa :boom:

:smiley:

Bible aside I think polygamy would be cool. What do you personally think about polygamy? You haven’t made your thoughts known. @Kwabena

1 Like

Polygamy in itself is one of the best things to happen to mankind. It’s not wrong for a man to marry two or more wives . Again, there’s no part of the bibke that condemns polygamy as far as im concerned . Its a big yes for me though I don’t intend to marry two women cos I have waist pains

1 Like

Then you’ve never read a Shakespeare original novel ( in old English) without subtitle, more things, we will surely need help understanding, but that’s beside the point, polygamy good or not good

To me not good , I believe most of you guys here can’t even handle two girlfriends not to talk of wives…

My opinion tho​:joy::joy::joy:don’t attack me

2 Likes

I’m not talking about language structure, grammar nor style of writing. I’m talking more about the facts and logic in the Bible.

Haha don’t worry.

I think it’s a natural thing for a man to reproduce with multiple partners and i’m not against it. I would but i think it’s harder nowadays as Women have been brainwashed against it.

Society has now made it somehow immoral to be in a polygamous relationship which shouldn’t be the case. I think it will now always be looked at as evil and whoever does partake will be antagonised, which is wrong. @kod

1 Like

It is a big no for me. One man is to one woman. That is how it is supposed to be. It is impossible for one man to love all his many wives equally, so just stay with one and enjoy your life. You also reduce the risk of producing immoral children when you marry one wife.

1 Like