# Police denies allegation of assault on Kumasi Girls’ SHS students during riots

DCOP David Agyemang Adjem is Deputy Commander, Ashanti Region

The Ashanti Regional Police Command has denied allegations that personnel deployed to Kumasi Girls’ Senior High School assaulted the students.

Some students earlier alleged that they were beaten by joint police and military team deployed to the school to calm a rampage on campus on Monday evening after they were denied mid-term break.

According to the students, the security officials assaulted them even when they retreated to their dormitories.

“We broke veronica buckets but we didn’t destroy any other property. We were there and soldiers and police came around and started lashing us not with canes but with sticks. When you are even lying on your bed, they will pull you down and start caning us,” a student told JoyNews.

But in an interview, Acting Regional Police Commander, DCOP David Agyemang Adjem refuted claims that the security personnel used force to calm the students.

“It will be foolhardy for any police officer or military man to go into a girl’s dormitory and attack them. No. I don’t think that is true. But the information I had is that the students had been unruly and had destroyed school properties.

We hear them. There’s a picture of one student bleeding and bandaged as evidence so what is the police sayin.

These are females so I expect that the police uses minimum force on them if only the students were vandalising the school. Now who’s speaking the truth,the police or the students?

In as much as I find this hard to believe, the school can’t just fabricate something like this just to dent the image of the police or the military. Where then is the injury that was sustained by the girls came from? Do they inflict it on themselves?

For a while, the professionalism and discipline of the Military and Police is in disrepute. Will not be surprised if they actually commit did this.