To convert a drive using MBR to GPT on Windows 10, use these steps:
- Open Settings .
- Click on Update & Security .
- Click on Recovery .
- Under the “Advanced startup” section, click the Restart now button.
- Click the Troubleshoot option.
- Click on Advanced options .
- Click the Command Prompt option.
- Select your administrator account and sign in with your credentials (if applicable).
- Type the following command to validate that the drive meets the requirements and press Enter :
mbr2gpt /validateQuick tip: The mbr2gpt.exe is located in the “System32” folder inside the “Windows” folder. If you want to see all the available options, you can use the
- Type the following command to convert the drive from MBR to GPT and press Enter :
- Click the Close button in the top-right corner of the console.
- Click the Turn off your PC option.
After you complete the steps, several actions will take place, including validation of the drive and creation of an EFI system partition (ESP). The UEFI boot files and GPT components will be added to the partition. Then the MBR2GPT tool will update the Boot Configuration Data (BCD), and the previous letter will be added to the drive.