Great Manchester Police: Mason Greenwood has been released on bail
Mason Greenwood has been released on bail. GMP: ‘A 20-year-old man arrested on suspicion of the rape and assault of a woman has been released on bail pending further investigation.’
Mason Greenwood has been bailed by police today ‘pending further investigation’ after being arrested on suspicion of rape, səxual assault, threats to kιll and assault of an 18-year-old student.
The England and Manchester United striker, 20, who spent a third night in a cell last night after first being detained on Sunday, was released from custody this morning.
A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police said: ‘A 20-year-old man arrested on suspicion of the rape and assault of a woman has been released on bail pending further investigation’.
The 20-year-old was arrested on suspicion of rape and assault after distressing pictures and audio circulated on social media alleging he attacked an 18-year-old student. Yesterday he was re-arrested while in custody on suspicion of səxual assault and threats to kιll his alleged victim.
Today, after 72 hours in a Manchester police station and hours of interviews, detectives released him.
Manchester United has already said he will not play for the club - or train with them - while the police investigate him. United’s most high-profile players, including David de Gea, Cristiano Ronaldo and Paul Pogba have appeared to unfollow Greenwood on Instagram, despite following other squad members.
Marcus Rashford, Edinson Cavani, Fred and Jesse Lingard are also among those not following the rising star, while club captain Harry Maguire and Bruno Fernandes are in a group of 18 squad members who, so far, are continuing to do so.
Police said in a statement on yesterday evening: 'Detectives have been granted further additional time to speak to a man in his 20s who was arrested on suspicion of rape and assault of a woman.
'The suspect was detained in custody on Sunday afternoon after we became aware of online social media images and videos posted by a woman reporting incidents of physical violence.
'Following enquiries so far, he has since been further arrested on suspicion of səxual assault and threats to kιll.
‘Enquiries are ongoing and the victim continues to be offered specialist support.’
Following the update, United released a statement: ‘Manchester United reiterates its strong condemnation of violence of any kind. As previously communicated, Mason Greenwood will not train with, or play for, the club until further notice.’
It comes after the striker was removed from FIFA 22 in an update on Tuesday.
After a database update for all platforms including Xbox, PlayStation and PC, the Manchester United striker no longer features in the popular computer game for offline modes.
But his FIFA 22 Ultimate Team item is still active and can be swapped on the game’s FUT 22 transfer market, the Manchester Evening News reports.
One post included a voice recording of a conversation between a man and a woman, dated October last year, which purportedly chronicled the woman being attacked.
In the wake of the allegations, Nike - the world-famous sportswear giant - released a statement stating that they were ‘deeply concerned’.
It was also revealed their connection with Greenwood has been put on hold.
A statement read: ‘We have suspended our relationship with Mason Greenwood. We are deeply concerned by the disturbing allegations and will continue to closely monitor the situation.’
Thanks for reading .