Computer Assisted Coding

Here’s a question I came across while preparing for an interview

What is the difference between Computer Assisted Coding and coding alone?

Honestly I have no idea how to go about this… Any ideas?

I don’t know if I’m right but I think computer assisted coding has to do with the frameworks and APIs available to a developer or programmer.

Coding alone might have to do with building everything from scratch. No APIs, Modules, Libraries etc.

I stand to be corrected though.

1 Like

Would like to thinking computer-assisted coding is using tools like GitHub Copilot vs coding without it, akin to typing with auto-correct on vs auto-correct off. So with GitHub Copilot, AI reads your could and can tell in advance what’re trying to do and write some of the functions you need for you, without you having to think on how to write them, it sort of auto-completes your code. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Great. Now am confused. I just read here that computer Assisted Coding is primarily used in the Healthcare system.((CAC) Computer Assisted Coding Medical Software & Tools)
But your answers sound intuitive enough, seeing as am not in the field of medicine. Am going to look for something along those lines.

Context defines everything I think. I have no idea what CAC is in healthcare, so if you asked me without any healthcare knowledge my answer above is what I’d have given. But looking at the link you posted:

Computer assisted coding (CAC) has the ability to accurately generate medical codes directly from clinical documentation. With computer assisted coding, healthcare organizations can become more compliant with payer and quality reporting requirements, while also improving their bottom line.

“generate medical codes directly from clinical documentation” vs “coding alone” don’t make sense, they don’t match. If you’re doing CAC you’ll still be doing it “alone” anyway no? :thinking:

1 Like

What a way to simplify things for me. :rofl: :rofl:
Thanks… Am sure of what to do now. I just need to expand what you too have said into three or four paragraphs.

By the way, I’m not sure oooo, because now I see you wrote “Computer Assisted Coding” in the original post instead of “computer-assisted coding”. “Computer Assisted Coding” could mean the one about medicine that you posted a link to since it is capitalised, now that I’m thinking about it.

1 Like

Ah… You spoil am again…
Season 6 What GIF by The Office

Cracking Up Reaction GIF

1 Like